- Thursday, October 5th- Parent Teacher Conferences
- October 6th Crazy Hair Day (Make a donation to hurricane relief fun to wear crazy hair)
- October 9-13th- Fall Break
- October 16-18 Fund-Raiser at the Chicken Shack
- October 31st- Halloween Breakfast Parties and Costume Parade
During Reader’s Workshop students are working on the following:
- We continue to build our stamina to be able to independently read for longer periods of time.
- Recording and sharing our thinking while reading
- We wrapped our Reader’s Theater- Fox Plays
- During this unit students learned about fluency (reading like a reader would read it). We practiced reading with a good pace, good phrasing and changing our voice to match the punctuation and characters we are reading about.
We are continuing our Opinion Writing Unit.
- Student have written several letters at this point to recommend favorite books to readers.
- We have learned to make our letters stronger, longer and more convincing by adding more parts/reasons to our letter and providing evidence to support our opinion
- We have used a checklist to evaluate our writing and set goals to make our writing better
We will be wrapping up our first Investigations Unit right after Fall Break. We will then begin Unit 2 Attributes of shapes and Parts of a Whole. During this unit students will be focusing on the following:
- Identifying, describing, sorting, comparing and drawing 2-D and 3-D shapes.
- Learning vocabulary for shapes.
- Understanding equal parts of a whole.
- Partitioning shapes and using fraction vocabulary.
- Continuing with fluency within 20.
- We are completing our unit on Civics this week. Students identified what our Roles, Rights and Responsibilities are in various parts of the school and playground. During our Technology Time with Mrs. Fleet we learned about an App called Adobe Spark. Students then collaborated with a partner to create a video describing one pace in our school. Please look at your child’s Seesaw account for the video.
- Your child has had several weeks of getting into our routine of Word Work and Spelling. Please continue to practice these words with your child (see yellow word study page in homework folder). The idea is that your child learns to identify the pattern (through sorting) but is also able to accurately spell the words as well. So far, the children are making good progress!